How to Create Reflections
Reflection is another design element that is used heavily
in Web 2.0 websites. This technique is often employed in
icons to create a 3D effect on the image.
The use of this design turns images that are otherwise
plain into visually-pleasing ones.
Want to make a 3D icon? Follow these steps:
1. Open your favorite graphics editing program.
2. Open or paste your image on the working area.
3. Create a copy of that image and place it directly where
you want to place the reflection. Remember that a
reflection is a mirror-image of the image. This is
important when making any reflections on your design.
4. Create a layer mask over a good portion of the
5. Place a gradient effect on the remaining portion of the
reflection to create the illusion of a reflection.
6. Voila! You have now created a 3D icon.
Of course, there are several ways of creating this effect.
The one that we have shown you is only one of them. You can
find a lot more tutorials on the internet that will help
you achieve this effect. Choose one that you find most
However, keep in mind to use this effect sparingly. Just as
in any kind of visual effect, overdoing your reflections
can make your overall design look tacky and unprofessional.
You donít want your design to look amateurish, right?
Subtlety is the key to creating great designs and you
should incorporate this in the designs that you make,
including creating reflections.